Thursday, December 22, 2011

Here's what I think we are doing...

Ha Ha.  Alec says writing blogs are easy?  That anyone can do it?  Well, that is true, I suppose, but what I’m striving for isn’t easy.  I want our little collective to be writing a good blog.  No, it need not be incredible or awe inspiring.  I see so many blogs that are just a bunch of images people find that other people took, or stories of a mundane life.  The thing is, these things wouldn’t be so bad if people could write really well or at least pull out something witty, dark, or cheerful about the mundanity of life but generally I think people just want to put information about themselves, or what they like into the world and that’s cool.  All I’m saying is our blog damn well better be something better than that (tah-dah, my clever title reference).

Alec was right when he said I found a drive.  I did.  And I like sharing drive.  And the secret truth is I absolutely LOVE bossing people around, doling out deadlines, and whipping people into working shape and I really don’t do it ever.  So I am totally reveling in this opportunity to be task master.  People like my siblings (including Jessie, a.k.a. Noir and my sister-in-law) who have insane talent and ability but lack the motivation or inspiration to keep putting it all out there, need a task master.  So that’s my job, and the job of this blog; to force them to do work, even small silly work.  My thought is this: if they are writing small things, drawing small things, getting any kind of creative movement in their heads and hands, then it will lead to bigger and better things.  Eventually the multitude of story ideas we wrote, developed, did character sketches for, but never finished will actually come to be, because creating is like an itch you just can’t scratch.

I should say that I am not immune to the disease of laziness and lack of motivation that my sister and brother suffer from.  Actually, none of us are lazy-we work really hard but we are unfortunately none of us working really hard on all of the things we should be, like writing, drawing, and creating (ok, I actually am pursuing art but not in ALL the ways I should be).  What I mean to say is this; I need a task master too and this blog is that for me.  By committing to it I have a reason to give myself deadlines.  If I expect my sister and brother to complete entries and assignments then I better do them too.  Plus, I have the added benefit of Jessie to keep me motivated, as she has no lack of it but instead seems to refuse to acknowledge her own skills.  I’m working on that.

In any case, welcome to our little pool of motivation and creation.  Or hopefully that is what it will be.
Best,
Soy (Jessica)

No comments:

Post a Comment